Samstag, 24. Oktober 2009

xRepresentx Interview



1. Hello, give us a brief introduction to xRepresentx. How did the band come about?
In 2003, I decided to keep the long lasting legacy of Erie Straight Edge alive in my own way. We've always had a lot of sxe bands, and I had some ideas of where I wanted to go musically and what I wanted to say. So i put it together with some friends, and after many years, and member changes, here we are still today.

2. When it comes to your roots, what bands and styles in particular have influenced your sound?
A lot of real deal hardcore bands: Buried Alive, xDISCIPLEx, Ringworm, Earth Crisis, Figure Four, really the lis could go on forever. In a time where there's so much crap, we strive to be a view on what a true hardcore band should/could sound like.

3. How would you describe songs on “The new inquisition”? Lyrically and musically
Musically and lyrically, I'd say this album was the matured next step from True at all Costs. Both hit hard and fast, and both have well put lyrics, I feel atleast, but I really took a lot more time to say what I wanted to say on this album. Musically, ultra-hard.


4. How did you come up with the name of the album?

It's in reference to the Inquisitions of the middle 20th-century, as insane of an idea as they were, their job was to rid the land of heretics and non-believers. In comparison, the name is referring to ridding the lands those tarnishing the name of straight edge.


5. What are some of the topics you touch in your music and how important is message in hardcore for you?

Obviously we sing about straight edge. I feel I hit on subjects not said 1000 times by other bands, or atleast in different ways. I try to be thought provoking. Not comforming to the public ideals and not killing each other based on religion are also some things we've written about. I think it's a great travesty to hardcore to not be able to come up with some type of proactive message. This is a genre of people trained to open their mind and live outside of the box, so to speak. To drone on, talking about basically nothing, is a waste of a chance to make a difference.

6. You are on famous xseventh daggerx label. How works the collaboration with them?
Great. I love Danny and the Label. He's a fantastic gentleman, and every chance I've had interacting with seventh dagger has been top notch!!


7. You’re straight edge. What means straight edge for you?

Straight Edge means personal liberation from the shackles of drug, alcohol, and tobacco use. Not everyone becomes an addict, but those who do I'm sure wish they could re-think their first life destroying experience. And with so many people visibly destroying their lives, straight edge only makes more sense. However, I'd like to point out the main test of someones edge in my eyes. Some live clean because they chose to be straight edge, but the truest will be straight edge because they chose to live clean. The title shouldn't be the reason you are poison free, it should be a badge of honor once you've decided to live against those poisons.

8. xRepresentx were a long time in Europe in 2009 on Tour. What can you say about the tour? What do you think in special about the German HCscene?
Hands down, German HXC shows were always fantastic. I speak german, so maybe I'm partial, but I loved every one. Scotland was also great, belgium too. So many great places, and so many awesome people. I'm happy to say the Euro Hardcore scene is thriving from what I've seen. To anyone reading this that came to one of our shows, thank you. It means a lot. Not every band thanks the people at the shows the right way, but you are the only reason we could pay to get home and eat. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

9. What's the scene like out there in Erie/PA at the moment? Are there a lot of newer bands we should keep our eyes out for?
Erie has always had a thriving hardcore scene, what can i say, I love it here. Lots of good shows, and lots of cool kids. Huge straight edge scene too. Keep and eye out for domestic war, and taste the steel. Maybe TTS will rejoin at sometime.

10. Thanks for the interview, any final thoughts or statements for the readers of my blog?
The only way to keep hardcore alive , no matter where you live, is to support any legit hardcore show that comes through. If As I Lay Dying wants to charge 30 euros or something, fine, but when some smaller(but good!) legit hardcore band comes by you, GO SEE THEM! Tour isn't cheap. If you know them, they'll be back if they see love. If you don't, you may like them. And if promoters know they won't lose their ass, they will book more and better hardcore shows. Support you scene, because if you don't, who will? It's everyone's job!

1 Kommentar: