Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2009

Interview with IH8YH aka. Naggi


1.First of all, can you introduce yourself for the people, who don’t know you?

My name is Joerg, i did bootleg videos for a couple of years of the european hardcore scene, i do graphics and some artwork stuff. thats basically it.

2.In the European Hardcorescene you are much asked for design cd cases, booklets, websites or merch designs. How did this come about?

Well first of all its not THAT much, i do Shirts for german bands from the ruhrarea every once in a while, some flyers for the Proberaum shows and for Rico17stitches. I know all these people from the hardcore scene. Some i knew even before that time, like Samis Reduction, I know that guy for ages. Its the usual way... word of mouth you know. you do something for someone, another one notices or asks around who can do a flyer or a shirt and they get back at you. Once you've done something good people always come back. guess i have proven myself reliable to always make something that sells or looks decent haha. It was the same with the CD Artworks that i did. I made some shirts for Six Ft Ditch and Peachey then asked me if was able (and wanting) to do the artwork to their next record. I took that chance and it came out pretty nice. I think thats also how the Fallbrawl and Bun Dem Out Artworks came together, they are both friends with SFD and me aswell and liked the stuff i did for SFD and so they asked me.

3. Where do you draw your influences when you design something?

That basically depends on the band. If it is a band that I am familiar with like Six Ft Ditch or Reduction, I just think about something these guys would like. With SFD is particulary easy since they all share my interest in Serial Killers and the love to 70s and 80s horror movies as you can clearly see in their lyrics. Reduction is also very easy.. just take something evil and disgusting, something that will have people say "oh you can't do THAT...". Its harded with other bands but i always try to get inspiration via their lyrics and other stuff they had, like their record artwork or older merchandise. I try to come up with something that is new but still kind of fits to their other stuff.

4. How do you think the genre of hardcore has evolved over the years? Do you think it’s all going in the right direction?

Personally I think it totally went downhill. There are good bands for sure but the amount of real bad bands, ungeneric ones has more than trippled in the last few years. also the fans are mostly just scumbags scenestars who are just in it for the image and "the mosh". you can clearly see that in all these "i mosh in front of my mirror on youtube" videos and such stuff. Of course there are also some new people that are pretty cool and are in it for the values of hardcore, the same stuff that i felt when i started. They've got it in their hearts, whereas I would say 80% of the people in the scene today are just in it for bout 2 years maximum and then they are off to the next trend. It really isn't the same anymore. Bands that deserve attention don't get it (like Cheap Thrills R.I.P.) and others are just jumping onto the trendwagon and people are kissing their asses for basically no reason.

5. How do you look upon the Internet and music, free mp3s, filesharing etc…? Is it a chance for a promotion ?

Thats maybe the toughest question ever. Of course its a great chance for bands to promote their stuff and reach a worldwide base with only a click. On the other hand its a real pain in the ass as you can see with FWH Records for example, they wanna change their way of distribution to a more digital format and only do a limited number of physical copies of a record. THAT is even the worse part for me as a designer because the booklet will be redundant someday. people will download the files, theres a cover and a txt.file with the lyrics. thats it. no artwork. and thats a shame cause i think a record and the artwork is kind a of a unit, the artwork tries to enhance the music by giving it a visual component.
The sad part about filesharing is the fact that theres people who have maybe one or two records at home and the rest is just downloaded somewhere. I have nothing against people downloading a record every once in a while. I do it myself but I have (or had.. sold most of them) about 1000 records here that i bought over time. so you get the thought. i hate it when people ONLY download and there seem to be an awful lot of these idiots.

6. What bands, labels, crews do you support in your area?

Quiet a lot since i am friends with most of them haha. Basically its the DRM (which i am no member of, just to clarify!) and all its bands, the RBS (which i am also no member of, just to clarify!) and most of its bands. Theres the newly found german chapter of the SOSF which i am a member of. In London its the LBU and all affiliated bands. Label wise it just comes down to three basically and those are Massive Bloodshed Records, Filled With Hate and Rucktion Records from London.

7. You are straight edge. What it is about straight edge that makes it a lifestyle for you? What was the main reason why you said no to drugs and alcohol and smokes?

The mainreason for me was my Dad. He was an alcoholic since i can think and i just started to get to know him after he had an heartattack and was forced to change his "way of life". before that he was just the guy who came home late and passed out on the couch. I swore to myself to never become someone like that and thats basically it.
As for the "lifestyle" thing... it aint really a lifestyle because i don't buy any new SXE shirt, I don't listen to a lot of straight edge bands (in fact i think bands singing bout partying and shit are even more fun, like No Reedeming Social Value or german thrashgods Tankard). I may have a Straight Edge Tattoo but as with all tattoos I did that one only for myself, kind of like a bold reminder to myself that i can see not to become my father.

8. Thanks for the interview, anything you would like to add?

listen to Bastard Lovechild! FUCK MEDIA CUNTS
myspace.com/bastardlovechildukhc

and thx for the interview!


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen